Really Early Adopters?

Kindergartners with cell phones? According to a new study by Speak Up, mobile usage is getting younger and younger.

Speak Up is a national initiative of Project Tomorrow, the nation’s leading education nonprofit organization dedicated to the empowerment of student voices in education. The Speak Up National Research Project annually polls K-12 students, parents and educators about the role of technology for learning in and out of school. This years’ findings are illuminating to say the least.

The study, which was just released on April 1, 2011, polls some 300K school aged children,their parents and educators. Findings revealed mobile phone usage/ownership is up among school aged children:

Cell Phone Ownership By Grade (% who have Mobile Phones)

• 20% of kindergarten through second graders
  • 29% of third through fifth graders
  • 51% of middle school kids
  • 56% of high school kids

And they are also equipped with the latest in mobile technology with 34% of middle school age kids and 44% of high schoolers report having a Smart Phone.

Interestingly, 67% of parents would like their children to use mobile technology in the classroom to support learning if allowed by educators. And what do school educators think of this idea? A resounding 65% of school principals say “No way!”

Hmm. Guess that means students will have to continue to sneak those text messages during class –at least for now.

(Image.)

This entry was posted in Controversy, iPhone, Kids, Marketing Tactics, mobile, mobile marketing, Moms, Technology, Teens. Bookmark the permalink.