I don’t get it… Americans cannot live without their smartphones. They can’t put them down. Yet still so many products and services have not embraced mobile-optimized sites. How can you ignore facts like these?
– We have to use PSAs to scare people into not texting and driving.
– It has become acceptable to use smartphones during large business meetings.
– 70% of smartphone users use their device while shopping.(1)
– 50% of business travelers use mobile devices to get travel information.(2)
– By 2015, more people will access the internet from their phone than from their computers.(3)
– More than 30% of visits to mobile-friendly pizzeria sites result in an immediate phone call, presumably to order a pizza.(4)
– 30% of U.S. restaurant searches are done on a mobile phone.(5)
… So why are marketers SO SLOW to in developing mobile-friendly sites for their consumers?
REALITY CHECK: SMARTPHONES ARE NOT A FAD. Don’t pay for a research study. Just go outside into the world and look at what people are doing (what you are likely doing!)…and PLEASE, please, create that mobile-friendly site.
1 Google/OTX, The Mobil Movement, U.S., 2011
2 Google/OTX, The Travelers Road Decision, 2011
3 IDC, 2011
4 DudaMobile Internal Data, 2012
5 Google Internal Data, 2011